Access to Information

Please submit Access Requests by mail to:  PO Box 3070, 200 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario, N3H 5M1.  

Under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) individuals can request access to any record held by government institutions, including a local police service. Requests for copies of records that already exist within the files of this police service are made through the Access to Information Unit.

All requests made through this Unit are responded to in accordance with MFIPPA.  Under this legislation, you have access to your own personal information.  If you are seeking the personal information of someone else, written consent will be required (please see form below). 

If you have any questions regarding making a request, you may contact the Access to Information office by phone at 519-570-9777, ext. 8514 or by email at

For more information, check our Frequently Asked Questions link above.

Access/Correction Request Form

To be completed by persons requesting access to information (eg: Request for Police Reports) and/or requesting a correction to their own information. Access/Correction Request Form.

Consent to Disclose Personal Information

To be completed by persons consenting to release of their personal information to the requestor.  This form allows individuals to authorize Waterloo Regional Police Service to release their information to a named party or business and can be utilized by Insurance Companies, Law Firms, and individuals.  Consent to Disclose Personal Information Form.

Public Information Index / Directory of Records

The purpose of the Public Information Index / Directory of Records is to assist members of the public in exercising their rights of access under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act by listing and describing records in the custody or control of the institution.   

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an FOI request?

 Access Request form

Mail the Access Request form and $5.00 application fee to:

Access to Information Unit
Waterloo Regional Police Service
200 Maple Grove Road
Cambridge, ON N3H 5M1

Sending information to us over the Internet is neither secure nor verifiable, as your request may contain personal and sensitive information.

What are your hours? 

The Access to Information Unit is open Monday - Friday, 08:00am - 4:00 pm. The office is closed on statutory holidays.  Contact Access to Information at (519) 570-9777, ext. 8514 or

How much does it cost? 

There is an initial $5.00 application fee and there may be additional fees upon completion, an example of which is 0.20 per page for photocopying.

How long does a request take?

The legislated timeline is 30 - 60 days

What do I do if I need the report sooner than that? 

You can indicate the date the report is required when the request is submitted, however we cannot guarantee the records will be ready in advance of the legislated timeline.

Do I have access to the full report? 

This depends on what is being requested and whether or not anyone else is involved in the incident.  The personal information of other individuals will be redacted (blacked out) unless consent from those individuals is provided.  Requests are processed in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

What kind of payment do you accept?

By mail, you may pay by money order or certified cheque.

Can my lawyer get the report for me? 

Yes, your lawyer may act as your personal agent and apply for access, however, the same access rules apply whether it is you or your lawyer who is making the application.

 What information am I entitled to as a landlord?

As a landlord, you have access to information about the property.  For example, you would be entitled to the portions of a report describing the damage to a unit.  If you are seeking copies of reports involving your tenants where no property damage was noted by police, consent is required. 

How can I correct information held about me?

After you have made a request and received your information, you have the right to request:

a. correction of personal information;
b. a statement of disagreement be attached to the record;
c. notification of correction or disagreement be sent to those to whom his/her personal information was disclosed within the previous year.

You must complete an Access/Correction request form and submit a $5.00 application fee.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified in writing.

Contact Us

How Do I...